Park Ministry

This is my absolute favorite picture of my husband. We go out to the local park every Sunday morning to feed anyone there that's hungry. Last Sunday we had snow! It was so cold and most of the people out there weren't prepared.

We've never seen this guy out there before but he was so cold he didn't even move. So, Ches took him a cup of coffee and gave him his gloves. He just put the gloves on him as this man stood there. This pic just shows the true heart of my husband toward the homeless...

We go out there and just treat them like real people. Don't judge...if we got started on that we could go on forever. We (husband and I with a small group of voluteers from our church) show up with scrambled eggs, biscuits & gravy, coffee and cocoa. We usually have around 100.

This has been the most rewarding thing Ches & I have ever done. Here is a pic of a family that we met out in the park last summer. A single mom with the cutest little kids ever! Don't know how she got there but she lived in the Homeless Shelter. She got a job and was working crazy hours as a street flagger-has been doing that for a few months now. When they did get an apartment, the youngest girl ran up to me, "Miss Lisa" (so sweet) "we got a home." Just the innocence in her voice and how she appreciated her new home....anyways....so they've been driving this beat up old pick-up around town and to work and it's a total piece of junk. Always runs down. Sunday at church a guy comes up to me and tells me he has a car that he's fixed up and wants to donate to us....Praise God!!! So, she was surprised and totally blessed with this great little Tracker!



I love my job!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I have tears in my eyes as I read this entry and think of the good that you are doing. Thank you for sharing your own personal goodness as a reminder to each of us that we should judge less and help more. Have a wonderful day!

Sophia

Shantay said...

That is totally awesome. TOTALLY! The world could be a much better place of there were more people who put themselves last. Major props to you, your husband, and your friends from church. May God bless you all for your unselfishness.

Melissa Reid said...

That is just beautiful! You and your husband are good people! Wish there were more like you in the world!

Katrine said...

I am so touched by your husband's kindness. You are what they call great people!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story.....I'm glad to see there are still some humble people in this world.

Kate Thaete said...

Fabulous. Thanks for sharing. I love hearing about people that really care for others - especially those that go uncared for most often. You both will be richly rewarded for your love and kindness.

Augurs said...

I know you weren't looking for praise by posting this. (It's your life!) :) I just wanted to let you know how I love your heart for others. Thank you for being Jesus to those around you. You're an inspiration!
Michele :)

Anonymous said...

wow...i have the chills...{i just put a quote on my blog a couple minute ago...i think you'll like it...} i think it is AMAZING what you are doing...that's for sharing that beautiful picture with us!!

love~jill

Lorrie said...

What a blessing to be a part of such a wonderful outreach. I always think that when you do something that kind, you're not just doing it for that homeless person, but you are actually doing it to God himself. God bless you and your church group for showing the true meaning of God's grace.

Deene Souza Photography said...

That is such an amazing story! We have many blessings like that happen in our church as well. We also do a park ministry. Recently, our church helped initiate a homeless shelter in our town. No one wants it in their neighborhood, so it's taken ahile to get off the ground, but I think it's finally going to happen. So needed!

Rhonda said...

Wow. That is the coolest thing I have heard of anyone doing in a long time.

I am going to write about you in my blog.